In this section, you will find all of my appetizer recipes with photos, instructions and suggestions such as “where to buy” some of the supplies and ingredients that I used. Since I’m a busy mama, I order thru Amazon Prime as much as possible to save time and money and hopefully you will find my suggestion helpful as well.
Preparation time: 1.5 hours
Marinate time: Minimum of 3 days in refrigerator
1 Medium Size Napa Cabbage – 3 to 5 lbs
1/2 cup of Kosher Salt
1 yellow onion
5-8 cloves of garlic
1-2 inches of ginger root knob
2 teaspoon of light brown sugar
1/4 cup of fish sauce
1/4 cup of Korean chili pepper flakes (Gochugaru)
1/4 cup of water
1/4 cup of cooked white rice
1 carrot finely julienned
3 stalks of green onion finely sliced
1. Cut off about 2 inches off the base of the napa cabbage and discard. Chop up napa cabbage into bite size and rinse well.
2. In a large mixing bowl, layer chopped cabbage and kosher salt in batches and mix well. Let it sit for 1-2 hours and you will notice the salt will draw out a lot of water from the cabbage.
3. In a food processor combine onion, garlic, ginger, brown sugar, fish sauce, gochugaru pepper flakes, water and white rice. Blend into smooth paste. Your seasoning paste is done
4. Rinse out the salted cabbage. Do so at least 3 times and use a salad spinner to spin dry.
5. Combine cabbage, seasoning paste, carrots and finely sliced green onion into a large mixing bowl. Wear a pair of food service gloves and mix well by hand
6. Store your Korean style kimchi into airtight glass container in the refrigerator and wait at least 3 days before eating.
Where to buy:
Fish Sauce: http://amzn.to/2nY3EMt
Korean Gochugaru Pepper Flakes: http://amzn.to/2nK2uDd
Food processor: http://amzn.to/2oDdqpZ
Air Tight Glass Container: http://amzn.to/2p0U3nB
Salad Spinner: http://amzn.to/2ob59ZQ
To download PDF, click here: Korean KimchiKorean Kimchi