In this section, you will find all of my pork recipes with photos, instructions and suggestions such as “where to buy” some of the supplies and ingredients that I used. Since I’m a busy mama, I order thru Amazon Prime as much as possible to save time and money and hopefully you will find my suggestion helpful as well.
Chinese Roast Pork – CharSiu (on the charcoal grill)
Preparation time: 10 minutes
Marinate time: min 8 hours up to 24 hours
Cook time: Approximately 1 hour
2 lbs of whole tenderloin, well trimmed Cut into pieces shown in pic
1/2 cup of water or 1/2 cup of chicken stock
1/4 cup of light brown sugar
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
2 tbsp of soy sauce
1 tbsp of Japanese sake or dry sherry
1 tbsp of yellow miso paste
2 tsp of finely minced fresh garlic
1 tbsp of hoisin sauce
1 tsp of toasted sesame seed oil
1 tsp of white pepper
2 tbsp of honey
2 tbsp of hot water
A handful of apple wood chip soaked in water for 30 minutes and wrapped in foil with one end open
2 hickory wood chunk
1. Combine all ingredients except pork into a mixing bowl or large ziplock bag and mix well.
2. Pour marinade over tenderloin and make sure it is well coated. Store in fridge for a minimum of 8 hours.
3. In a charcoal grill, use a charcoal basket to hold charcoal on both sides of the grill as indicated in photo and use a foil tray in the middle to catch any drippings. Alternatively, you can have all the hot charcoal on one side and place the foil tray on the other. Add your wood chips and wood chunk on top of the charcoal once charcoal is ready.
4. Put your marinated tenderloin onto grates right over the foil tray. This way it is being cooked thru INDIRECT heat.
5. Close top and bottom vent half way on the grill and close the lid and let the tenderloin smoke and cook on indirect heat for 50 minutes or until internal temperate had reached 155C-160C
6. Move tenderloin onto charcoal and brush on honey glaze until the exterior is slightly charred. This will take 5 to 10 minutes. Be careful not to burn the meat.
7. Let meat seat in room temperature for 5-10 minutes. Slice tenderloin thinly and serve over a bed of rice of as topping to ramen noodles.
Where to buy suggestions:
Weber Charcoal Grill: http://amzn.to/2ouxCbf
Weber Charcoal Basket: http://amzn.to/2p3t7ri
Heat proof gloves: http://amzn.to/2ouBN70
Grill kit: http://amzn.to/2ouz6lO
Hickory wood chunk: http://amzn.to/2oyG0b6
Applewood chips: http://amzn.to/2oHlIN4
Chinese 5 spice powder: http://amzn.to/2pBg4tf
Hoisin Sauce: http://amzn.to/2ofndP3
Yellow Miso Paste: http://amzn.to/2pB2eap
Japanese Sake: http://amzn.to/2oHn0aU
White pepper: http://amzn.to/2oz3JrV
Toasted Sesame seed oil: http://amzn.to/2ouxOY2
Meat Thermometer: http://amzn.to/2ouzzEn
To download recipe in PDF click here: Chinese CharSio on BBQChinese Roast Pork on charcoal grill